Dogs love peanut butter and that’s the truth. And as pet parents, we love giving them treats. However, there are Peanut Butters out there that are highly dangerous for our companions. This is when you need to start reading labels before you buy.
Why Xylitol Is Dangerous to Dogs
Xylitol is a sweetener that’s gaining in popularity because of its dental benefits for people as well as its suitability as a sugar substitute for people with diabetes. Yet thousands of dogs are accidentally poisoned by xylitol every year.
In fact, the toxic dose of xylitol in dogs is even less than chocolate! For example, as little as 1.37 grams of xylitol can cause a rapid drop in a dog’s blood sugar (“hypoglycemia”) and result in staggering, disorientation, collapse, and seizures in a 30-pound dog*. If a dog of the same size ingested 6.8 grams, it could be enough to cause a debilitating and likely deadly destruction of the dog’s liver cells. Now consider that it would take about 22 times more (150 grams) dark chocolate to result in the same level of severe toxicity.
*Sources: New Findings On The Effects Of Xylitol Ingestion In Dogs from ASPCA-APCC 2006; Acute Hepatic Failure And Coagulopathy Associated With Xylitol Ingestion In Eight Dogs from ASPCA-APCC 2006, published in JAVMA (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006; 229:1113-1117)
Please be aware of your peanut butters ingredients. This site lists Safe Brands of Peanut Butter: Senior Dog Days
If your dog should happen to ingest any dangerous food take them to the Veterinarians right away.
You must be logged in to post a comment.